Loading

Timeline

As I discussed in my post from Week 6, my timeline has definitely changed. I’m further behind than expected, due to issues with my circuitry. I wasn’t able to let go of the circuit, because I wasn’t sure of where I would find another simple and cost-efficient circuit for an EEG. Thanks to an electronics forum I’ve been posting on, I’m much more confident in myself and my understanding of electronics and EEG circuits. I’m currently in the process of designing a new circuit, and I’m constantly getting feedback and help from the online community. I have confidence moving forward with the circuitry aspect of this project, and I know that I have people to support me if I need any help, which is extremely reassuring. I’m so glad I was finally able to let go and move on, and I’m grateful for the advice and help I’ve received.

Program-wise, I haven’t gotten very far. I’ve built the base for the triple window setup, and have begun playing around with and designing the generative art component. Much of my program does depend on my circuit being completed, which is why it’s been so difficult to work on. Over break, I’m planning to really focus hard on completing the circuit and getting to a point where all I need to focus on is my program, which is the point I should be at now.

Β Questions / Concerns

I think my biggest worry is that I won’t be able to finish in time for the Merrill Gallery exhibition in April. While I figured that by this point my capstone would be more in the preliminary stages of the generative art (aka the art would not be as in depth as I would like, but the prompts and wave display would be fully functioning), this is not the case. I’m still determined to present, however, and I will be working towards the goal of having a presentation.

I’m also unsure of how I want to display in Merrill. As far as I can think, it won’t be an interactive piece, because of sanitary concerns for the electrodes. I think it’s going to end up being a video display, but this is something I definitely want to discuss in my individual meeting. I’m also confused overall about how the Merrill exhibition works. Is the work only on display for a few hours, but over a span of a few days? Do I have to be there the whole time? How is my video going to play (if we’re actually using projectors, which a classmate mentioned)? There’s a lot to find out about, and I think it’d be beneficial for anyone else who’s presenting to know about, too.

I’m a bit concerned about my ability to code to the extent needed to created what I envision my capstone will turn out to be. As I’ve found though this project, research is my best friend. I’ve been pulling inspiration and coding information from multiple sources, so for me it’s just a matter of making sure it works correctly and comes together cohesively. Much of what is pulling me back from working on the code is – I think – fear. I’m a little afraid of and intimidated by the project I created for myself, but I did design this project with the intent to push myself in areas I haven’t much explored before. Getting over that fear, sitting down, and just busting out codes and circuits is fun and exciting and scary and terrifying all at the same time, but I’m optimistic about the future of this project and becoming confident my own skills and knowledge development within these areas.