Loading

The circuit is finished and the code is running!

The only thing is nothing works. Yet.

This week, I worked on finishing the first iteration of this project, which in this case regarded finishing one circuit and getting the provided code to work. I got all my parts in, and as far as I can tell I’ve placed them correctly, too. While I’m disappointed that the circuit didn’t work right off the bat, I’m confident in my ability of finding exactly what’s wrong with it. Since the provided code reads the input through the sound card, I tested the code with a microphone to see if I could get waves. I was able to see some, so for the time being I’m going to shift my focus to finding out what doesn’t work in the circuit. I’ve already got a list of things that it could possibly be, such as my soldering job on the electrode adapters, a short being caused by too long leads, a bad jumper wire or part, and maybe even a bad connection between the batteries and the circuit. Regardless, it’s going to be a long, painstaking process, but hopefully it will all work out in the end!

For my electrode adapter cables, I soldered the end of the adapter to the stripped end of a male jumper cable. It proved to me more difficult than I thought it would be. I was having problems with the soldering iron being too hot and with the solder dripping off my cable and adapter joint, but I was eventually satisfied with what I had created. Although they’re not the prettiest to look at, I think the connection is stable. I’m hoping that my soldering job isn’t preventing the circuit from working, but it’s possible, and it’s something I’ll revisit if necessary.

FullSizeRender(1)
The soldered adapters and cables, with the joint covered in electrical tape.

Right before plugging the circuit into my laptop via the audio cable, I plugged in the batteries. I bought these snap-on terminals, thinking that I could just insert the wires into the breadboard and have it work. It turns out that the wires when stripped are extremely flexible, and hard to deal with. So I came up with a quick solution.

IMG_6637
A mess.

As ugly as it is, it should work! I’m planning on soldering jumper cables to the terminal cables in order to make it much neater, so they’ll be very similar to the electrode adapter cables I made.

For right now, though, I’m a bit worried about the length of the wires being a problem. They shouldn’t be giving too much resistance to the battery voltage, but it’s slightly possible that they might be part of the problem.

Looking forward, I’m hoping to figure out my circuit’s problem by next week and to have my own code ready for implementation. I’m also looking at designing and 3D printing a box to house all the circuits and batteries in to make transport and stability much easier for the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top